Monday, October 22, 2007

The Way Church Is

I've been doing a lot of thinking lately about the way the church is organized vs. the way church maybe ought to be. Let me first say that these ideas are not originals. They stem from reading I've been doing including Missional Church, They Like Jesus But Not the Church, and Me to We. I also attended a conference recently at Church of the Resurrection in Leawood, KS. This conference strongly emphasized the importance of not being a pastor centric church, but allowing for others to discover their own gifts and passions to further the Kingdom through that particular church setting.

So here's my question(s). If you were to start a church, with the guidance of the Holy Spirit, what would it look like? How would it be structured? Would there be a structure? Would there be a pastor? If there is a pastor, what would he or she do? Where would you meet? What would the gathering time look like?

I'll post a few of my thoughts soon.

1 comment:

Andrew Conard said...

T.J. - Thanks for the post. You ask some great questions. I think that one of the key roles of a pastor is to shape and create the environment in which disciples are made. It is not so much the responsibility of the pastor to make disciples, but to create conditions and opportunities for people to become and live as disciples.