Friday, August 14, 2009

Church is like food...


I love being a vocational minister, most of the time. I love being able to get to the church building around 8:30 or 9, ok, maybe 9:30 sometimes, knowing that I have no idea what my day may consist of. Let me retract that statement. I know what I have planned for that day, but I know for sure that something else is going to pop up to ruin my plans (hence the past title of my blog...Got No Plans). I also love seeing how God works through and in me during encounters with teens, kids, and adults in our congregation. I greatly enjoy preparing for a lesson or a sermon as well as how to equip others who are around me. I really do love what I do.

But here's the deal. Ministry is time consuming and the very thing I love can be the very thing that kills me. I listened to a podcast this morning that was an interview facilitated by Gabe Lyons with Rob Bell on the Catalyst podcast from 2006. Gabe was asking Rob (I use their first names like I know them personally) about all the opportunities and invitations he has to speak other places outside of Mars Hill. What Bell said really impacted me, especially at this point in my life. He said (I'm not going to quote) that it's super easy to let ourselves as church leaders get into a lot of great opportunities that seem to be, well, great opportunities. The problem is that we let these opportunities consume us and dictate what we do instead of letting our mission dictate what opportuinities we choose to accept.

Bell's approach is to seek where God is really working in his heart during a particular life season and then focus on only those things that pertain to that particular mission. This is revolutionary for me because I currently have a lot of good things I would like to do, but I lack the energy to do all of them great. I need to find the focus that God has placed on my heart and surround myself with opportunities that move me in a direction to fulfilling that mission.

Church is like food...I love it. I need it! But too much of it can make me sick and actually end up killing me. God, help me to know what "food" to say no to so that I can feast on what will bring life to me and others more abundantly through Jesus.

3 comments:

Baxter said...

When in doubt order pizza.

Seriously, you are great chef who connects with not only the youth but those of all ages. We are truly blessed to have you "in the kitchen" Your "original recipes" are what we like about you.

BTW, do you know where I can get a wheel of cheese?

T Just said...

thanks baxter. whoever you might be.

P.R.JUST said...

Ah yes - so many good things to eat, but not necessariy the best things. That's why I am at a little get-a-way so I can sort out the diet plan.