Sunday, August 30, 2009

Versus: Baseball vs. Football

I'll begin by putting my two favorite sports up against one another.




FOOTBALL
:


Pluses

  • There is absolutely nothing like playing in a football game. The anxious hours of pregame. The rush of the initial kickoff. The thrill of beating the guy across from you. The roar of the crowd.
  • The strategy of the game. If you've never been to a practice or involved with a film session, you have no idea how much football is a mind game.
  • Incredible atmosphere whether you participate as a player or a spectator.
  • Tailgates
  • You get to hit others without getting in trouble. It's actually encouraged.
  • Fantasy football
  • When the season is over you're already thinking about the next season (can't get enough)
  • Chicks dig football players
  • Camaraderie of the team
  • Playing in the rain or the cold isn't all that bad
Minuses
  • Possibility of getting hurt is quite high
  • Football practice. I've never quite put my finger on it.
  • Wearing a helmet and pads
  • 2-a-days

BASEBALL:

Pluses

  • Practice is fun. Taking batting practice and fielding ground/fly balls is something I could do all day.
  • America's past time. Being a part of a sport that has had a great effect on part of America's history definitely has its advantages.
  • There's just something about going to a baseball park and watching a game with your dad or your buddies.
  • Hitting a round ball with a round bat is perhaps one of the hardest things to do in sports. The challenge of it is a plus even though some might see it as a minus.
  • Hot dogs and peanuts.
  • Chicks dig baseball players
  • Close relationships built with your teammates. You're stuck with them in the field, on the road and in the dugout for hours on end. You really do become a family.
  • Baseball uniforms.
  • Failing 3-4 out of 10 times at the plate is considered doing pretty well
Minuses
  • Games are slow and can be what some might call "boring"
  • Played during the dog days of summer
  • Extremely long season
  • Playing in the rain or the cold is a bad experience
  • Steroids and performance enhancing drugs
And the winner is - FOOTBALL. I think you'd be hard pressed to find someone who likes baseball more than football.

4 comments:

Tuffy said...

How did you not put on your list, "chicks dig the long ball?"

At their core I would put baseball over football. Of course I speak more as a fan than anything else... There's something very relaxing and wonderful about being a baseball fan that football just misses.

However, the experience of college football Saturdays is something that doesn't exist in baseball. It really doesn't exist anywhere else. So that probably does put football over the top, but it's like 51% to 49%.


captcha: mitypsol

T Just said...

AH! I totally botched that one.

I'm surprised at your response. I thought you would lean more towards football, although I do recognize your true fanship (yea, i know its not a word) of baseball.

Tuffy said...

baseball is the perfect game... if it were 91 feet between bases the players would always be out, and if it were 89 they'd always be safe.

Kevin F. said...

Todd, I need your help. I'm giving a talk at the next Walk to Emmaus called "Christian Action". I'm formulating in my mind a sports oriented introduction to my talk. In my intro, I want to start with the statement "life is a contact sport". Can you and your friends come up with some good realities of life that can be described using sports terminology (ie getting "blindsided" by an unexpected bill, etc)? Thanks!! Have them email them ot me at kevin@tampastatebank.com.
Kevin